Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Devil is in the Distractions

Mortgage, car payments, bills, career, television shows, the internet, video games, the iphone with all its many apps, the internet again, daydreaming, vacation planning, house remodeling, birthdays, birthday presents, birthday parties, cleaning, ironing, sports scores, emails, work, more bills, appointments, debt, relationships needing restoration… these are just a few of the things in the last 24 hours that have me distracted. I awoke this morning with the phrase repeating over and over in my head that the Devil is in the Distractions.

Typically, my routine in the morning is quite simple. Being the father of three elementary school kids consists of waking up at 6:15am, then helping my wife get the kids ready, make breakfast, pray over their food, pack lunches, and then herd the kids from the kitchen table to the bathroom for hair and teeth brushing. The final thing we do as a family before everyone kisses their Mama and Daddy walks them down to the bus, is pray together as a family. It is truly one of our best moments of the day.

It’s now 7:10am… and let the distractions begin… What should I eat for breakfast, what appointments do I have today, what was the score of the game last night, what’s my wife’s schedule today, who’s going to be home after school for the kids, and what activities do they have after school? This may just sound to you like active planning for a typical day, getting your mind organized with the important tasks and timelines essential in family life, but let me propose a different hypothesis… the Devil is in the Distractions.

As I awoke this morning, which wasn’t the usual 6:15am, but rather at 5:30am, I had extra time to think about what the Lord placed in my spirit. I, as you undoubtedly, have heard the phrase many times “The Devils is in the Details”, so why had the Lord given me the word “distractions” in its place? As I lay still in my bed with arms folded behind my head looking up at the ceiling, my thoughts came to me clearer and clearer. There is a reason we are here, we each have a purpose for being a part of this thing we call life, a calling. Each of us has a destiny to fulfill, a path that has been chosen for us, and we have the simple responsibility to find that path and follow it. As we discover our path, our purpose, the road at times seems to stretch for miles and we can see every twist and turn ahead. Other times, along the same path, we divert our eyes, our thoughts, our minds and become lost. The path is no longer illuminated and what we could see before is now a distant memory as we struggle just to see the next step in front of us.

That is what the Devil intended for us all along, to be distracted. It can be for a moment, a minute, a month, or what may turn out to be years of our life. So as I lay in my bed thinking about my purpose, my family’s purpose, I realize that for the past few weeks I have become distracted. Seven years ago I had a tremendous idea for an invention, one that was so simple, that I could not believe it wasn’t in the marketplace yet. Six years ago that idea was buried deep under layers of sin, of shortcomings, and of, yes you guessed it… distractions. Five years ago I sought help and started Celebrate Recovery. At times over the past 5 years my road has been illuminated, other times it has been difficult to take just one step, but with the encouragement of my sponsor (even when he didn’t realize he was encouraging me, just being able to see him standing strong encouraged me) and my family, I am on the cusp of reaching 5 years in recovery.

Six months ago, the Lord brought back my simple idea, He allowed me to file a patent, He brought me a manufacturer, and I can say that I am on the cusp of beginning to fulfill my purpose. So, as I am so close, is it any surprise that I started to become distracted again? NO… but this time, but this time for sure, I will not let that liar distract me. Not with the internet, not with telling any untruths, not this time. You see, my wife and I make goals together each year and one of them for me was to read more. I began the year reading a 600 page biography, then followed that up with a 300 page non-fiction, and over the last few weeks I have followed those up with…nothing… Maybe I deserved a little break, sure… but that is all the Devil needs in our life… a little break, a small foothold. In a few weeks it will be something else, perhaps a little bigger, then perhaps something else a little bigger after that. That’s how he works and this morning, my eyes are open, and I refuse to let him have hold of me!

Be encouraged, be diligent, be active, and eliminate the distractions in your life today. It’s OK to let go of the thoughts that bind you. If you are doing something that is not productive, not helping you reach your goals and fulfill your purpose, STOP! Do it today, do it this instant, get your heart, your thought and your mind aligned with the King of Kings! I believe in you because He believes in you and I know that each of us has a purpose to this life and all we need to do is find it, follow it, give it our best, and let God do the rest.

Started at 7:49am and finished at 8:10am… DISTRACTION FREE!


No comments:

Post a Comment